Wednesday, April 8, 2009

American Idol - Top 8

Adam Lambert got something that I can't ever remember seeing on American Idol in all the years that I have watched it: a standing ovation from Simon (grouchy pants) Cowell. I love Simon. I really do, but I do not feel that Adam's performance of “Mad World”, a song you may have heard on Donnie Darko deserved the kudos that it got. And it's not that I think that Adam's untalented. He has a good stage presence that is worthy of a Broadway stage, and that's exactly where I feel that his niche is. He doesn't really seem to be the Top 40 type person, and if you look at the past Idol winner like Carrie Underwood, Kelly Clarkson, David Cook and almost winner Chris Daughtry, you will see that American Idol generally tries to reach the mass appeal.
Guys like Conway native Kris Allen, rocker Allison Iraheta, and my fave Matt Giraud are the ones that can make the most of the opportunities that Idol can give them. And I haven’t just jumped on the bandwagon because Kris is from Arkansas. This guy has the talent to make a hit record. If you don’t believe me, grab the iTunes studio recordings of Mr. Allen and listen to how talented he truly is.
I think back to the past winners like Fantasia, Ruben Studdard and Taylor Hicks and see that the formula doesn't always work. I hope America gets it right and doesn't fall in the Adam trap. I think it will be a disappointment in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment