Monday, October 4, 2010

Heavy Hitters We Wanna See on Glee

We’ve seen music from Madonna, Gaga and most recently, Britney. Glee has brought us the biggest names in the entertainment industry. In a show that has brought the high school musical where “High School Musical” could never go, audiences are anxious and amped to see what’s in store for Rachel, Finn, Coach Sue and Mr. Shuester. There’s already a “Rocky Horror Glee Show” scheduled to be released on iTunes on October 19th, so we know that the episode should fall in the next couple weeks. I’ve asked my followers who they would like to see on Glee.

Justin Timberlake - The former ‘N Sync heartthrob struck out to be one of the most successful solo artists of the 2000’s. He brought SexyBack with his first two efforts, “Justified” and “Future Sex/Love Sounds”, which each sold in excess of 7 million copies. To me, you can’t do a Britney episode without doing a Justin episode. It has to be done.
Songs that are Glee worthy: Besides the obvious choice of “SexyBack”, I’m sure we are all hoping for Jonathan Groff to make a re-entry as Jesse so I could see Finn getting angry if Rachel ever went back to Jesse. That would be a great time for “What Goes Around Comes Around” or “Cry Me a River”. 

If they went for a more social conscious episode, I could envision the entire New Directions ensemble doing “Losing My Way”, which is my favorite track of JT’s. They could go back to the ‘N Sync days and fulfill our need for a real boy band episode with songs like “Bye Bye Bye” and “Tearing up my Heart”. Another haunting track that received major airplay and would sound amazing on screen would be the Timberlake/T.I. collaboration of “Dead and Gone.


Elvis - I got on the Sony Music site to look at Elvis’ most popular tracks, and it’s safe to say that all of the top 10 would be Glee worthy. 

Of those tracks, I can hear Rachel pining away over her love for Finn to “Don’t Be Cruel”. It would be lovely if Arty could sing “Are You Lonesome Tonight?”, and I would be so excited to see Puck do “Hound Dog”, “Love Me Tender” or “All Shook Up”. Finally, Finn could finally tear down his walls and confess his devotion to “Can’t Help Falling In Love”. 

Meat Loaf - Just like hearing songs like “Highway to Hell”, I feel like getting a Glee-vamped version of “Paradise by the Dashboard Lights” and “I’d Do Anything for Love (But I Won’t Do That)” would be excellent. Some of you might be too young to remember Meat Loaf in his glory days, and honestly, I barely remember him myself. But, his mark on pop music is unmistakable. He made theatrical power ballads that puts some of today’s artists to shame. 

British Invasion - I am going to go out on a limb and say I wish they would just do a Beatles episode. They could do a few songs from Sgt. Pepper, throw in “Let It Be”, "She Loves You", "Hard Day's Night" and maybe even do “Revolution”. After seeing the film Across the Universe, it is certain that the Glee cast could probably do something just as fun and beautiful. They could also do Oasis, Elton John, Robbie Williams, Natasha Bedingfield, Adele, etc.
Songs that are Glee worthy - I would be happy to see the Glee cast sing anything by Oasis and Elton John. I think “Wonderwall” would be awesome, but “Don’t Look Back In Anger’ would probably fit better with the show. Robbie Williams songs “Let Me Entertain You” and “Angels” are genius and would work. I can see Amber Riley performing Adele’s brilliant ballad “Chasing Pavement”, and Lea Michele would shine on “Unwritten” or “Pocket Full of Sunshine”.


Rent - If there were ever an episode that would make you feel, make you cry and make you want to rejoice, I would think that it would be seeing the cast try to tackle the songs of the Broadway musical Rent. It would be a season finale episode to me. This is my favorite musical, so I may be a bit partial. It would be incredible to see someone like Anthony Rapp (maybe as Mr. Shue’s brother) on the show in some capacity, and it would be ironic to see Idina Menzel go against them as not only Rachel’s mom and the coach of their rival glee club, but because she was also in the musical. This is another one of those episodes that will have to occur. For those of you who haven’t heard the music that the late Jonathan Larson created that would become one of the most successful runs on Broadway ever, take a look at this clip. Any of the songs from the musical will do, but "Seasons of Love" has to be performed on Glee! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment